Henk Dammes B.V. (formerly known as Firma J.H. Dammes) was founded in 1892 by the great- grandfather of the current owner, Henk Dammes. In the company’s early history, the main trading products were grains and legumes. Transport of these products took place by barge from Bleiswijk to Rotterdam.
In a later stadium cars took over the transport. The trade in fertilizers and fuels, such as coal, joined the trading products grains and legumes. These were later replaced by oil. During the late 1960’s, natural gas replaced oil. A few years earlier, the company had already started with the outward transportation of naphthalene and bitumen, among other things.
Also, in those years, transportation by container increased enormously. The company took care of many transports by container for the US Army in Germany. At a later stage this increased to transportation by container throughout Europe. Until 2002, the transportation was directed from the residence in Bleiswijk. Through hard work, the company experienced significant growth, which allowed the office to move to the Alfred Nobelstraat in 2002, and the vehicle fleet to move to the Hoefweg, near N209 in Bleiswijk. During the following years after the move, the company expanded to 43 trucks and 48 employees.
Because of our committed employees and the long-term cooperation with customers, the company is still growing every day. Especially in these hard economic times, we focus on service, flexibility, and reliability more than ever. This allows us to meet our customers’ future wishes and continue our reputation as the valued transportation company for sea containers.
Now that the company has been in business over 120 years, we could say that this is partly because the company pursues the daily challenge: ‘There is always a way!’